PLEASE NOTE THIS VACANCY HAS NOW BEEN FILLED.
Wetherby Racecourse has an exciting opportunity for a new Grounds Person to join our team.
Set within 295 acres of Yorkshire countryside, Wetherby Racecourse has the huge benefit of a fantastic setting to accompany all our exciting race meetings and events. Racing has taken place on the site since 1891, with Wetherby Racecourse now staging some of Jump Racing’s early season highlights, in the bet365 Charlie Hall and the William Hill Rowland Meyrick Steeplechase on Boxing Day, as well as a small, but competitive, flat racing programme in May / June.
The successful candidate would join the team to assist in maintaining our quality racing surface all year round, with some of the key responsibilities being as follows:
- Working under the direction of the Head Groundsman / Clerk of the Course, carry out continued maintenance of the course. The work entails working outside in changing and often inclement weather conditions and can be physically demanding.
- To assist in preparing the course for racing – to include preparation and reinstatement of the course before, after and during racing, this to include:- Use of tractors, machinery and all weather maintenance equipment as required.
- You will be required to use various gardening, agricultural equipment, machinery, vehicles and chemicals in the process of carrying out your duties.
- Maintain all lawn and garden areas and parade rings with particular attention to raceday and event presentation.
- General maintenance of external areas, to include car parks, tracks, tarmac areas and horsebox park.
- Ensure all external areas are free from weeds, rubbish and leaves.
- Abide by all regulations and safe working practices in accordance with current legislation and as detailed in the Company’s Health and Safety Policy and Procedures
Whilst previous experience / qualifications in turf husbandry would be preferred, it is not essential, but potential candidates must be able to demonstrate the following …..
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent attendance record
- Flexible approach to working
- Work well under pressure
- Good Communication Skills
- Enjoy outdoor working
- Full clean driving licence
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, plus additional hours as required*
Location: Wetherby Racecourse, York Road, Wetherby, West Yorkshire, LS22 5EJ
*Please Note: due to the nature of this role, working unsocial hours will be a frequent occurrence, including late evenings, and some weekends and Bank Holidays (inc. over Christmas)
To apply, please email a covering letter and your CV to the Chief Executive at email@example.com
Closing Date: Friday 30th June 2023